All is welcome. Ben buys coffee/beverage for the first 2 visitors. Please stop by and talk about anything you wish.
Location: Dunn Bros Coffee on the T-Building 2nd Floor
Welcome to AY 19/20. As we begin the new semester, I would like to first look back on what we have done together as a team in Spring 2019. (You may want to check them against the objectives I set for Spring 2019.) We have:
For Fall 2019, I would like to focus on the following:
(1) Agendas our school would like to prioritize. I will be hosting a discussion at our first meeting on 8/22, and I shall follow up with action plans.
(2) Continuing the discussion on good teaching. Let's keep discussing teaching ideas and sharing good practices.
(3) Developing more transfer agreements and transfer guides.
(4) Providing great service to the college. None of our degree programs (MATH, BIOL or CHEM) graduated 2-digit-numbers of students in 2019. Our courses are in high demand mainly because they are needed by many other disciplines. It only makes sense that we calibrate these "service courses" and make them more relevant to students in all disciplines in the college. In Fall 2019, our school will initiate a curriculum conversation by BIOL, CHEM and NURSING.
(5) Learning more about your concerns. I will be hosting biweekly coffee hours at the Dunn Bros Coffee. Please join me and let's chat!
(6) Creating new programs. AS in Environmental Science is in the works, so are some other exciting opportunities.
How are you? I hope you had a fantastic summer vacation. The new academic year is upon us, and I know you are as excited as I am, if not more! As we prepare for the grand opening, I would like to remind you of the following:
1. The faculty duty days (AAD) are 8/21 and 8/22. I will glue myself to the greeting table this year, so that I won't miss the opportunity to say hi after the long summer. Please plan to attend: there will be a lot of important information for you, as well as fun activities like Dean's Contest on the new faculty handbook, game-show style. (I am playing against John Ford and Traci Krause; wish me luck.)
2. The School of SciMath meeting is 3--4:30pm on 8/22. I will lead a brainstorming activity. Please view this video and complete the worksheet before the meeting.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing you on 8/21 and 8/22!
Dr. Ben Weng