Education and Training
Education and Training
- Certificate, Higher Learning Commission Peer Reviewer, 2017
- Certificate, Luoma Leadership Academy, Minnesota State, 2016.
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, University of Minnesota, 2005.
- B.S. In Mathematics, National Taiwan University, 1995.
- Dean of Science, Mathematics and Information Technology, 2018—present.
- Assistant/Associate Professor of Mathematics, Metropolitan State University, 2008—2018.
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Ramapo College of New Jersey, 2005—2008.
- Visiting Professor of Mathematics, Winona State University, 2004—2005.
- Instructor/Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Minnesota, 1998—2003.
- Department chair. Co-chair of Minnesota State Transfer Pathway Team for Mathematics. Metro IFO rep on multiple university councils. Coordinator of developmental mathematics. Information Officer of Mathematical Association of America NJ Section, 2006—2008.
- Statewide: Minnesota State Transfer Pathway Team. IFO Multicultural Issues Committee, the Inter Faculty Organization.
- Metro State University: Student Success Council. Strategic Enrollment Management Council. Search committees. College curriculum committees. Urban Teacher Program Advisory Council.
- Mathematics Department: Department chair. Staff expert in learning technology.
- Developmental math: Introduction to Mathematical Thinking and Developmental Math with ALEKS.
- General education: Statistics I, College Algebra, Pre-calculus, Discrete Mathematics and Mathematics for Liberal Arts
- Calculus and post-calculus math: Calculus I/II/III, Ordinary Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, Real Analysis, Numerical Analysis, Probability and Modern Geometry.
- The inverted instruction (a.k.a. flipped classroom) pedagogy.
- Use of technology in post-secondary math instruction.
- Developmental math redesign.
- Liberal arts mathematics for non-STEM majors.
- "Flipping Discrete Math with zyBook DM" at ICTCM, 2017
- "So Little (Written) Homework, So Much Accomplished" at at JMM, 2017
- "Teaching Discrete Mathematics with an Interactive E-book" at the Spring Conference of MAA North-Central Section, 2016
- "Flipping the Discrete Mathematics Classroom with Interactive e-Textbooks" at JMM, 2016
- "Backward Designing a One-Semester Developmental Math Course" at the Fall Conference of Minnesota Association of Developmental Education (MNADE), 2015
- "Developmental Math, Forward Thinking and Backward Designed" at JMM, 2015
- "Flipping the Developmental Math Classroom: Self-Pacing is Key" at JMM, 2015
- "Flipped Classroom: Is It For Me?", a workshop at Metro State University Spring Faculty Conference, 2015
- "Self-Paced Learning: The Next Game-Changer for College Mathematics" at the 26th ICCTL, Jacksonville FL, 2015
- "Transitioning Students From High School to College Math" at the Spring Conference of Minn. Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM), 2015
- “Developmental Mathematics, Flipped and Self-Paced” at the 26th International Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics (ICTCM), 2014
- “Technology, developmental mathematics, and under-privileged college students” at the 25th International Conference on College Teaching and Learning (ICCTL), 2014
- “Preparing Students for College Math: A Successful Model of One-Semester Developmental Math” at the MAA Mathfest, 2013
- “From iClickers to iPads: How Technology Changes the Dynamics and Designs in the Classroom” at Faculty Conference, Metropolitan State University, 2012
- “Teaching Essential Mathematics, When Less Is More” at MAA North-Central Section, 2012
- “Developing Grading Structures that Motivate and Engender Success” at Access Workshop for Community Faculty, Metropolitan State University, 2011
- (Invited talk) “Weighted Voting and Power Indices” for Math Awareness Month, NJC University, 2008
- (Invited talk) “Seeing without Eyes: Mathematics and MRI” for Math Awareness Month, NJC University, 2007
- “Creating an Online Course in Developmental Mathematics Using CourseCompass.com” at the 8th Annual Faculty Best Practices Showcase, NJEDge, 2007
- “Redesigning the First Course in Differential Equations” at Joint Mathematics Meetings (JMM), 2007
- “Teaching Developmental Mathematics Using CourseCompass.com” at Joint Mathematics Meetings (JMM), 2007
- (Invited talk) “On the Identification of Two Sobolev Spaces in Fluid Mechanics” at Stevens Institute of Technology, 2006
- “Star-Trek: Infinity Hotel” at Immediate Decision Day, Ramapo College of NJ, 2006
- “Careers in Actuarial Science” at Math Club, Ramapo College of NJ, 2006
- “Preparation for College Mathematics Program (PCMP)” at Ramapo College of NJ, 2006
- “On Sobolev Spaces of Divergence-Free Vector Spaces” at Joint Mathematics Meetings, 2006
- “Assessing Student Learning Using ALEKS” at Ramapo College of New Jersey, 2005
- "Developmental Mathematics, Flipped and Self-Paced", Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies (PRIMUS), 2015
- "Self-Paced Learning: The Next Game-Changer for College Mathematics", Selected Papers from the 26th International Conference on College Teaching and Learning (ICCTL), 2015
- "On Sobolev Spaces of Divergence-Free Vector Fields and Their Applications" at Dissertation Abstracts International, Volume: 66-09, Section: B, 2005.